Shadow of the Past (V1)
|PC Kitchen Sink (V0)||
Back to Main Page
|Shadow of the Past (V1)|
|Name||Shadow of the Past|
Shadow of the Past is the first Virtual Set (VSet) released by the Player's Council. Design was headed by Finarfin and development by ketura.
As the PC's first foray into original card creation, the designers were keen to avoid certain pitfalls that earlier fan projects had fallen into, most notably that of creating a set so large that it collapsed under its own weight. Thus the group decided to make V1 a supplement to an existing format, rather than a standalone format as so many other projects had done. As a first step, it was only sensible to attach V1 to Fellowship Block.
SOTP had largely two design goals: first, to try and service certain underdeveloped strategies that existed but could not flourish with the FOTR card base, and second to mix the meta up by adding brand new concepts.
Old concepts revisited included:
- Moria Tentacles (see: Vile Tentacle (V1_36) , Out of Dark Waters (V1_34) )
- Sauron in general (see: I See You (V1_46) )
- Isengard Weather (see: Saruman, Fell Voice (V1_30) , Frostbite (V1_27) )
- Ringwraith Twilight Nazgul (see: Ringwraith in Twilight (V1_40)
- Frodo and Aragorn Signets (see: I Would Have Gone With You to the End (V1_23) , We May Yet (V1_55) )
- Elven Tales (see: Library of Rivendell (V1_11)
New concepts included:
- Elven Ally and Gandalf synergy (see: Gandalf, Olorin (V1_14) , The White Council (V1_18) )
- Adding burden removal options for more cultures (see: Gilraen's Memorial (V1_22) )
- Isengard card tutoring (see: Murder of Crows (V1_29) )
- The introduction of the term Item, meaning "Artifact or Possession" (see: Gimli, Vengeful Naugrim (V1_3) , The Darkness Grew (V1_35) )