Gondorian Captain (7C96)
|Gondor Still Stands (7R95)||
Back to Return of the King Index
|Gondorian Merchant (7R97)|
Gondorian Captain (7C96) is a Gondor Companion from the Return of the King set.
A cheap filler unit that is only remembered for a broken combo. While Gondorian Captain was fine when it came out, three sets later Base of Mindolluin was released which produced an infinite loop: use the Captain to discard a fortification, remove a threat, then use Base of Mindolluin to add a threat to play a fortification from the draw deck, then use Captain to get rid of it, ad nauseum. So long as the player went second and allowed their opponent to move to site 3 first, upon arrival this broken combo could be used to filter the entire Free Peoples side out of your deck, assuming you filled it with nothing but fortifications, thus allowing five full hands of Shadow cards.
Needless to say when the combo was discovered, Gondorian Captain was put on the Movie Block X-List, since he had no real use besides the infinite loop.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- List friendly cards that work well with this card
- List enemy cards this card does well against
- List enemy or friendly cards to avoid playing this card with
In this section:
- Put quotes from the CRDs and Comprehensive Rules here that reference this card specifically by name
- Also put quotes if a particular rule commonly affects the outcome of a card in a subtle manner (such as quoting the Rule of 4 for Saved From the Fire (8R20) )
- Link to rules discussions on TLHH
- Add links to the wayback machine (or wiki archival links) for official Decipher articles regarding the card
- Link to decks that use this card