Galadriel, Lady Redeemed (10R11)
Back to Mount Doom Index
|Glimpse of Fate (10U12)|
Galadriel, Lady Redeemed (10R11) is a Elven Companion from the Mount Doom set.
GLR is the one of the most controversial cards ever released, with many players either loving or hating her. She's free in a starting fellowship, so you can always use her in a deck, even if it's not an Elven deck. She converts any Elven event into condition or possession discard, which helps with cycling, and with enough events, she can be used to wipe out an opponent's support area. She serves as an easy counter to Grond, Hammer of the Underworld (8R103) , which is otherwise a difficult card to deal with, and she can even get rid of cards like Hides (4R19) , which Dunland depends on to counter archery. She also has natural synergy with Círdan, The Shipwright (10R8) who benefits from having Elven events in the discard pile.
Despite having an effective twilight cost of 0, and being a powerful source of condition and possession discard, GLR has several weaknesses. First, she can only discard conditions/possessions that were played that turn in the Regroup phase, which may not be enough to prevent the damage of cards like They Stole It (6R46) , Promise Keeping (8R24) or War Club (4U36) . Second, she consumes Elven events to trigger, so if you're being forced to use her all the time, you won't be able to use the events for their intended purpose. Third, depending on your deck size and the number of shadow players you're up against, you may not have enough events to deal with all their support areas, particularly if they playing Besiegers, who are very condition-happy. Fourth, she is extremely weak, to the point that she can't really fight, but is still taking up a slot in your Fellowship (and adding twilight when you move), which leaves you with few fighters unless you go over the 6 companion limit. Fifth, she only really works against support area possessions, and not ones attached to minions (unless you're double-moving). Sixth she's useless against conditionless/possessionless shadows. Finally, she is vulnerable to being assassinated by shadow assignment abilities (listed below) or Terrible as the Dawn (3R103) .
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Any shadows that rely heavily on conditions or possessions (Beseigers, Moria, Corsairs, some Dunland variants, etc.)
- Grond, Hammer of the Underworld (8R103)
- Galadriel does not really bring anything to the table against shadow sides that do not run, or are not dependent on, conditions or possessions. However, most shadows in Movie Block have at least a few conditions.
- The most obvious silver bullet counter for GLR is Terrible as the Dawn (3R103)
. If you are not playing a Sauron culture deck, then perhaps consider splashing some of these Sauron minions and 2-3 copies of Terrible as the Dawn:
- Tower Assassin (2R93) (Probably your best bet, nice body and can be used to eliminate problem allies)
- Great Hill Troll (8C102) (yes, expensive but a great body and can kill off a condition in the later sites in movie block)
- Orc Slaughterer (10R95)
- Orc Archer Troop (7U294)
- Shagrat, Captain of Cirith Ungol (10R99)
- Orc Insurgent (6U104)
- Orc Inquisitor (1C268)
- Orc Pillager (3U96)
- Morgul Hunter (1R256)
- If you do not want to include Terrible as the Dawn and a Sauron splash, then consider the following list of ways one might contend with GLR in the Movie Block format:
- Desert Lord (4R219) to exhaust her (many tactics listed here require that)
- Cast Unto the Winds (10C36) (play 2 copies the same turn, to assure at least 1 will remain when your action takes place)
- Fierce in Despair (7R148)
- Between Nazgûl and Prey (8R67) + an Enduring Nazgul
- Called (7U174) + a Nazgul + 5 threats
- Úlairë Toldëa, Messenger of Morgul (1R236) + 4 burdens
- Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul (1U231) + 5 burdens
- Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow (2R75) + a way to increase his strength, or reduce Galadriel's (or maybe Desert Lord (4R219) to exert her twice). Hope they don't have any pumps!
- Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow (2R75) + damage bonuses (with intiative, Stooping to the Kill (10C64) + Let Her Deal With Them (7R63) will give him damage +2!)
- Morgul Vanguard (10R63) (assuming she wields Elven Sword (4C64) or Aiglos (9R+12) )
- Saruman, Servant of the Eye (3C69) + another Isengard Minion or Saruman's Staff, Wizard's Device (4R174)
- Brought Back Alive (4U143) + an Isengard Tracker
- Many Riddles (4U159) (yeah, you'll get at least a turn out of it, but it is more vulnerable than Brought Back Alive)
- Orthanc Champion (4R164) (if she's exhausted)
- Caradhras Has Not Forgiven Us (1R123) (if she's exhausted)
- Fires and Foul Fumes (6R62)
- Over the Isen (4U31) (Go down with this: play a Dunland Minion, play and use Freca, Hungry Savage (9R+2) to grab a site, assign to GLR. It'd probably be helpful to have a Hides (4R19) to play that turn as well to protect Freca)
- Frenzy (1C171) (assuming you can exhaust her, maybe Desert Lord as mentioned above?)
- Bitter Hatred (1U164) (and Malice (3U79) if she is bearing an Elven Bow (1C41) )
- Hate (1R250)
- Reclaim the Precious (10U22) (long shot, assuming she has Nenya (3R23) )
- Haunting Her Steps (4U155) (yeah, it is a stretch)
- Gríma, Wormtongue (4R154) (if she's exhausted and bears Nenya (3R23) + 2 other cards)
- Gorgoroth Assassin (8R95) (if you're playing besiegers and don't wanna run Terrible as the Dawn, but just remember to have an engine to go down with it, or a site controlled, the same turn you wanna Assassinate her).
- Orc Inquisitor (1C268) , Band of the Eye (1R240) , Tower Lieutenant (1U280) and Southern Spies (2C91) may try to discard her Elven fuel from hand.
|Galadriel, Lady of Light (1R45)||At the start of each of your turns, heal every ally whose home is site 6.
Fellowship: Exert Galadriel to play an Elf for free.
|Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood (3R17)||At the start of each of your turns, you may heal an Elf.
Fellowship: Exert Galadriel to play the fellowship's next site if it is a forest (replacing opponent's site if necessary).
|Galadriel, Keeper of Nenya (6R18)||At the start of each turn, heal Galadriel. Skirmish: Exert Galadriel to discard the top card of your draw deck. If it is a Shadow card, make a minion skirmishing an Elf strength –3.|
|Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom (9R+14)||While Galadriel bears an artifact or The One Ring, she is resistance +1 for each companion you can spot.|
|Galadriel, Sorceress of the Hidden Land (13R15)||To play, spot 3 Elves.
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may reveal a card from the top of your draw deck for each forest on the adventure path to heal an Elf for each card revealed.