|Gleaming Spires Will Crumble (1U249)||
Back to Fellowship of the Ring Index
|A Host Avails Little (1U251)|
Hate (1R250) is a Sauron Event from the Fellowship of the Ring set. Not to be confused with hate, an informal game term referring to a specific counter to a card.
This card is probably one of the most well-known Sauron cards, and is a popular inclusion for any deck with heavy investment in the Sauron culture. In Fellowship Block in particular, the Sauron culture is fairly weak overall, with this card among a couple of others being the main reason it is used. Hate can finish off any companion with 1 vitality remaining, but more importantly if you hold copies in your hand (Or draw multiple copies at once) you can play several to take out one of the Fellowship's key companions. When doing this, make sure that your orcs have enough vitality for the exertions. Hate is also free, so there's no need to save twilight when playing minions. Wound prevention methods are the main counter to Hate, examples being Intimidate (1C76) , Hosts of the Last Alliance (2U18) , Dwarven Bracers (2U3) , Sapling of the White Tree (9R35) etc. Another weakness of Hate can be when playing against a large Fellowship containing companions of equal value (particularly Ents). If large Fellowships are a problem, use A Host Avails Little (1U251) or Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul (1U231) in addition to Hate.
In Expanded format, it's possible to set up a vicious combo with Mûmak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings (15R86) (with or without Pavise (11C94) ) and Hate, which can kill almost any companion. However, with this increased power, counters such as Gandalf, Wise Guide (19P8) and Armor of Khazâd (17U1) are also more powerful, making Hate more difficult to utilize.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Low vitality companions (3 or less)
- Exhausted companions, or companions with many wounds
- High Strength companions (Since Hate can kill them without needed to beat them in skirmishes)
- Wound Prevention
- Blood of Númenor (2U31) (Or any maneuver wounding)
- The Choice of Lúthien (1R100) ; Shoulder to Shoulder (1C59) ; Faramir, Captain of Ithilien (18R48) or other maneuver healing
- Gandalf, Wise Guide (19P8)
- Most Sauron decks in Fellowship Block use this card, and even in subsequent formats, this card has its uses.