The Balrog, Demon of Might (19P18)
Back to Age's End Index
|Reaching Tentacle (19P19)|
The Balrog, Demon of Might (19P18) is a Moria Minion from the Age's End set.
Released in the final set of TCG cards, Demon of Might is undisputably the most powerful version of the Balrog ever printed. With an innate Damage + 2 and Fierce, is causes pain to even well-prepared Fellowships, but its real strength lies in its text. The fact that is skips the maneuver phase while underground is extremely potent; it prevents followers from being used, stops several versions of The One Ring from being equipped, prevents maneuver wounding and serves as a counter to Madril, Defender of Osgiliath. This card can also be played with other minions if your opponent floods the twilight pool, and will protect them all from maneuver and archery wounding (Both of which are common in the Expanded format.). This Balrog is not the first to prevent assignments to low strength characters, but this ability is also handy, as it forces the opponent to sacrifice important companions to it. Combine with Cavern Entrance to deny your opponent even more effects.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Madril, Defender of Osgiliath (And consequently, Ithilien Blade)
- Decks that flood the twilight pool
- Extreme follower decks
- Wounding decks
- Archery decks
- Maneuver dependant cards, such as Gil-Galad, High King of the Noldor
- The One Ring, The Great Ring (And also The Binding Ring and Such a Weight to Carry)
- Choke Decks.
- Decks with at least one very high strength companion (E.g. Durin III)
- Extreme Site Manipulation decks, which may prevent you from playing an underground site
- Decks with Armor, Gimli's Helm or other Damage protection effects
- Smeagol, Always Helps with Don't Look At Them (If the Balrog isn't Underground.)
- A New Light
|The Balrog, Durin's Bane (2C51)||Damage +1. Fierce.
While you can spot The Balrog, discard all other minions. Skip the archery phase. Discard The Balrog if not underground.
|The Balrog, Flame of Udun (2R52)||Damage +1. Fierce. To play, spot a Orc.
Discard The Balrog if not underground.
Shadow: Exert The Balrog and remove to play a Orc from your discard pile.
|The Balrog, Terror of Flame and Shadow (6R76)||Damage +2. The twilight cost of The Balrog is –3 if you can spot a minion. The Balrog cannot be assigned to skirmish companions or allies of strength less than 6.|
|The Balrog, The Terror of Khazad-dum (12R79)||Damage +1.
While The Balrog is at an underground site, it is fierce and cannot take wounds or be exerted.